Luther Acres, a Luthercare community at 600 E. Main St., Lititz, is offering a variety of courses for its Fall 2019 “reDiscover A World of Possibilities” program. The courses are one day a week, and some cover a four-or 8-week period. All are open to the greater community. Most courses are held on the Luther Acres campus and have varying fees for campus residents and non-residents. The purpose of the “reDiscover” program is to provide an opportunity to learn new things, be creative, enrich minds and have fun!
The courses for Fall 2019 are:
• “Museums of Lancaster County” – Visit some of the wonderful museums that are located throughout Lancaster County. The first trip, on Monday, Oct. 21, is to the Christiana Underground Railroad Center at Historic Zercher’s Hotel. A bus will depart Luther Acres around 8:45 a.m. and leave to return at noon. The second trip is to ride on the Strasburg Railroad and visit the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania on Tuesday, Oct. 29. A bus will depart Luther Acres around 11:45 a.m. and leave to return at 3:30 p.m.
• “Yoga for Healthy Aging” – Learn what the mind and body need for optimal health through a well-rounded yoga practice. This course is taught by Michele Zerbey, a certified Kripalu Yoga Teacher. Sessions are: Thursdays, Oct. 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 and Nov. 7, from 9:30-10:30 a.m.
• “Fantastic Fall Pumpkin & Squash” – Join Chef Cary Wells from FLIK Lifestyles, Luthercare’s culinary partner, as he uses the abundant crops of fall, pumpkins and squash, to create a variety of delicious dishes. Attendees will receive the recipes and enjoy a taste of the final product. Sessions are: Wednesdays, Oct. 9, 16, 23 and 30, from 2:30-3:30 p.m.
• “Ballroom Dancing for Beginners” – Instructors Gregg and Amber Stief, of Stief Performance & Event Services, will cover the five major ballroom dances: Waltz, Foxtrot, Rhumba, ChaCha and Swing. Couples and singles of all ages and abilities are welcome. Sessions are: Wednesdays, Oct. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 and Nov. 6, 13 and 20, from 6:00-7:00 p.m.
• “Ballroom Dancing – Beyond Basics” – Instructors Gregg and Amber Stief, of Stief Performance & Event Services, will move slightly faster than the beginner class. Sessions are: Wednesdays, Oct. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 and Nov. 6, 13 and 20, from 7:15-8:15 p.m.
• “Staying Vertical” – Join the Luther Acres Therapy Department and learn the common causes of falls and how to reduce your risk of falling. The first session explores risk factors and more, and the second session includes a multi-station clinic on falls and a balance screening. Sessions are: Wednesdays, Oct. 9 and 16, from 2:00-3:00 p.m.
Registration is required by Wednesday, Sept. 25, and space is limited. If you are interested in attending any of the courses or would like more information or pricing, please call Beth Bucher, Luther Acres Wellness Director, at 717-626-1171, ext. 1691.
Founded in 1949, Luthercare, a social ministry organization affiliated with the Lower Susquehanna Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and a member of Lutheran Services in America, is a leading provider of independent, personal care and skilled care residences in Lancaster and Lebanon counties. Luthercare operates Luther Acres, a Continuing Care Retirement Community in Lititz, Pa.; Spang Crest, a rehabilitation center, skilled nursing and personal care with memory support community in Lebanon, Pa.; and St. John’s Herr Estate, an independent living and personal care community in Columbia, Pa. Additionally, Luthercare operates four PA Keystone Stars-accredited child care and early learning centers in Lancaster, Marietta, Reamstown and Annville. Luthercare, a pioneer in Child Care Programs, also offers a Mentoring Program, which aids home-based child care providers in Lebanon and Lancaster counties.